We now have it in writing that the bank will be willing to sanction a mortgage should we find a suitable property. From this stage we have 6 months to approach the bank with a property and then we move on to the other stages.
A solicitor has been recommended to us for conveyance and we have an engineer as well. The bank will then tell us the valuer we have to use.
The mortgage will be for 92% as we would like to use some of our savings/gifts for furnishing the house and for hidden expenses such as carpets or washing machines.
I’ve been a little anal about the house moving thing. There are spreadsheets and I am not afraid to use them! I have worst case and best case plotted out and hopefully the total cost will only go down, and not up. I’ve also worked out the monthly outgoings considering all the utilities and taxes we will have once we own our own place. Short of actually starting to pack we’re all ready to go! I know the colour schemes, the sofa we’ll be getting, the beds and other bits and bobs. Even a few paintings we’d like to buy when we get into the Future House. I have makes and models of washing machines, fridges, and dryers, I have read reviews I’ve checked their energy ratings and give the go I am ready to take Dwyers and Harvey Norman by storm. Though not really Harvey Norman as we really cannot think of anything worse than trying to buy anything from that damn shop.
I haven’t factored in the cost of hiring a van. Dad said he’d be happy to give us The Van MK2. Which is something I can drive around for a month and a bit. When we need to move big things such as sofas and beds we’ll need a LWB van, possibly a Transit or Trafic. Jonathan might go to an IVECO dealer near his work and see if there are any vans that are sitting around doing nothing, and see if we can borrow one for a few days. So it’s a cost that can’t really be nailed down, so it’s hard to account for it until we know if we’ll need it.
We’re hoping to schedule a week for a move, so we can give our current landlords a nice chunk of time before we move out and then give us a cross over between the two properties. We could easily move in a day but if we need to paint and carpet it’s best to do that in an empty house. I can almost guarantee that of the houses we have seen and we will see in the future there will always be something to paint. This is where my mother comes in. She doesn’t know it yet but she has a lot of honied pine to paint over in her future. Jonathan is very understanding and is allowing me to at least paint the wood work in any Future House. Even if it means sleeping on the floor for a month we will be painting the woodwork.
Fucking honied pine. Really, Ireland. Sort that shit out.
We are looking for a home. It’s hard work. We have been looking for a few months now and the process is not an easy one and it’s certainly not quick.
I have been trawling through Daft.ie for houses after myself and Jonathan sat down and made our list (long time followers will know that I love my lists…). Things on our list include:
- Lots of light
- Large kitchen
- Living and dining away from the kitchen
- Specific location
There are also items on the list about gardens and the bedroom/bathroom ratios as well. We have managed to bring the location down to a strip of land that runs between the R579 and the R619 from Mallow to Cork. It’s going to mean a commute to work for one of us at least.
The main item on that list is the turnkey quality of the house. We want to be able to move in and just get started. We’ll negotiate any house down that isn’t 100% turnkey and I will have to concede the plague of honied pine wood trim in most houses. We have talked to an architect about renovations on another house we saw and it added up a lot. We’re not on Grand Designs budget levels so we have to go turnkey. A lot of houses are on the market in the optimistic bracket.
Pleco also needs a lot of land and I know for a fact that I would rather not live in a built up area. Remote is going to happen and Jonathan seems to be with me on this. That and we’re planning at least another two dogs to add to the pack.
Essentially we are looking for exactly what we have now. Only with a bigger garden.
And it’s out there. I’m currently working on colour schemes and a list of furniture items we don’t have. Which is a small list thanks to my parents. We don’t even need a dining table, just a sofa and two beds.
I also might have a justification for a Land Rover Defender.
LET US SEE WHAT THE FUTURE WILL HOLD.
Hopefully we can say with some confidence that we will have another weekend like the one we just had. Glorious weather and sunburn abound.
In my defence I was outside for less than an hour reading a book. But it’s not the worst sunburn I have ever had.
It was a lovely weekend in the sun surrounded by friends and lots of food. Lots of BBQ as well. Puppy had a lovely time enjoying the paddling pool that we dug out for her. She spent most of the time digging in the water and drinking it.
She had destroyed her cone of shame and it was time to take it off already so that went in the bin. I think she enjoyed being outside for the the whole weekend, there was only one incident of rolling in cow poo!
Looks to be pleasant enough weather in York for next week but some rain, too. The high temperature while it’s raining will annoy me though. Won’t know what to wear! Too hot for a coat but raining so I’ll get soaked.
Woe is me.
Looking forward to going home just so I can not be here. As is always the way the week before the holiday is the toughest week. We head up to The Farm on Friday night (Friday afternoon if I can get my own way) and then we fly out of Dublin airport on the Saturday afternoon. Makes for a nice relaxing trip actually, as we drive over from Manchester to York in the late afternoon and not in the mad rush hour as we have done before.
Just have to keep thinking about the holiday on Friday. Just get to Friday.